Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Who's Cribbing?

I'm only here publishing this story "Who's Cribbing" because I read it as a 5th grader almost 12 years ago and it seems like the author, Jack Lewis, wouldn't mind so much as my republishing this story is quite in keeping with the spirit of its message.






April 2, 1952

Mr. Jack Lewis
90-26 219 St.
Queens Village, N.Y.

Dear Mr. Lewis:

We are returning your manuscript "The Ninth Dimension." At first glance, I had figured it a story well worthy of publication. Why wouldn't I? So did the editors of Comic Tales back in 1934 when the story was first published.
As you no doubt know, it was the great Todd Thromberry who wrote the story you tried to pass off on us as an original. Let me give you a word of caution concerning the penalties resulting from plagiarism.

Sincerely,
Doyle P. Gates
Science Fiction Editor
Deep Space Magazine




April 5, 1952

Mr. Doyle P. Gates, Editor
Deep Space Magazine
New York, N.Y.

Dear Mr. Gates:

I do not know, nor am I aware of the existence of any Todd Thromberry. The story you rejected was submitted in good faith, and I resent the inference that I plagiarized it.
"The Ninth Dimension" was written by me not more than a month ago, and if there is any similarity between it and the story written by this Thromberry person, it is purely coincidental.
However, it has set me thinking. Some time ago, I submitted another story to Stardust Scientifiction and received a penciled notation on the rejection slip stating that the story was, "too thromberrish."
Who in the hell is Todd Thomberry? I don't remember reading anything written by him in the ten years I've been interested in science fiction.

Sincerely,
Jack Lewis





April 11, 1952

Mr. Jack Lewis
90-26 219 St.
Queens Village, N.Y.

Dear Mr. Lewis:

Re: Your letter of April 5.
While the editors of this magazine are not in the habit of making open accusations and are well aware of the fact in the writing business there will always be some overlapping of plot ideas, it is very hard for us to believe that you are not familiar with the works of Todd Thromberry.
While Mr. Thromberry is no longer among us, his works, like so many other writers', only became widely recognized after his death in 1941. Perhaps it was his work in the field of electronics that supplied him with the bottomless pit of new ideas so apparent in all his works. Nevertheless, even at this stage of science fiction's development it is apparent that he had a style that many of our so called contemporary writers might to well to copy. By "copy", I do not mean rewrite word for word one or more of his works, as you have done. For while you state this has been accidental, surely you must realize that the chance of this phenomenon actually happening is about a million times as great as the occurrence of four pat royal flushes on one deal.
Sorry, but we're not that naive.

Sincerely,
Doyle P. Gates
Science Fiction Editor
Deep Space Magazine




April 14, 1952

Mr. Doyle P. Gates, Editor
Deep Space Magazine
New York, N.Y.

Sir:

Your accusations are typical of the rag you publish.
Please cancel my subscription immediately.
Sincerely,
Jack Lewis





April 14, 1952

Science Fiction Society
144 front Street
Chicago, IL

Gentlemen:

I am interested in reading some of the works of the late Todd Thromberry.
I would like to get some of the publications that feature his stories.

Respectfully,
Jack Lewis





April 22, 1952

Mr. Jack Lewis
90-26 219 St.
Queens Village, N.Y.

Dear Mr. Lewis:

So would we. All I can suggest is that you contact the publishers if any are still in business, or haunt your second-hand bookstores.
If you succeed in getting any of these magazines, please let us know. We'll pay you a handsome premium on them.

Yours,
Ray Albert
President
Science Fiction Society





May 11, 1952

Mr. Sampson J. Gross, Editor
Strange Worlds Magazine
St. Louis, Mo.

Dear Mr. Gross,

I am enclosing the manuscript of a story I have just completed. As you see on the title page, I call it "Wreckers of Ten Million Galaxies." Because of the great amount of research that went into it, I must set the minimum price on this one at not less than two cents a word.
Hoping you will see fit to use it for publication in your magazine, I remain,
Respectfully,
Jack Lewis




May 19, 1952

Mr. Jack Lewis
90-26 219 St.
Queens Village, N.Y.

Dear Mr. Lewis:

I'm sorry, but at the present time we won't be able to use "Wreckers of Ten Million Galaxies." It's a great yarn though, and if at some future date we decide to use it we will make out the reprint check directly to the estate of Todd Thromberry.
That boy sure could write.

Cordially,
Sampson J. Gross
Editor
Strange Worlds Magazine




May 23, 1952

Mr. Doyle P. Gates, Editor
Deep Space Magazine
New York, N.Y.

Dear Mr. Gates:

While I said I would never have any dealings with you or your magazine again, a situation has arisen which is most puzzling.
It seems all my stories are being returned to me by reason of the fact that except for the byline, they are all exact duplicates of the works of this Todd Thromberry person.
In your last letter you aptly described the odds on this accidental occurrence of this phenomenon in the case of one story. What would you consider the approximate odds on no less than half a dozen of my writings?
I agree with you - astronomical!
Yet in the interest of all mankind, how can I get the idea across to you that every word I have submitted was actually written by me! I have never copied any material from Todd Thromberry, nor have I ever seen any of his writings. In fact, as I told you in one of my letters, up until a short while ago I was totally unaware of his very existence.
An idea has occurred to me however. It's a truly weird theory, and one that I probably wouldn't even suggest to anyone but a science fiction editor. But supposed - just suppose - that this Thromberry person, what with his experiments in electronics and everything, had in some way managed to crack through this time-space barrier mentioned so often in your magazine. And suppose - egotistical as it sounds - he had singled out my work as being the type of material he had always wanted to write.
Do you begin to follow me? Or is the idea of a person from a different time cycle looking over my shoulder while I write too fantastic for you to accept?
Please write and tell me what you think of my theory?

Respectfully,
Jack Lewis





May 25, 1952

Mr. Jack Lewis
90-26 219 St.
Queens Villlage, N.Y.

Dear Mr. Lewis:

We think you should consult a psychiatrist.

Sincerely,
Doyle P. Gates
Science Fiction Editor
Deep Space Magazine





June 3, 1952

Mr. Sam Mines
Science Fiction Editor
Standard Magazines Inc.
New York 16, N.Y.

Dear Mr. Mines:

While the enclosed is not really a manuscript at all, I am submitting this series of letters, carbon copies, and correspondence, in the hope that you might give some credibility to this seemingly unbelievable happening.
The enclosed letters are all in proper order and should be self-explanatory. Perhaps if you publish them, some of you readers might have some idea how this phenomenon could be explained.
I call the entire piece "Who's Cribbing?"
Respectfully,
Jack Lewis





June 10, 1952

Mr. Jack Lewis
90-26 219 St.
Queens Village, N.Y.

Dear Mr. Lewis:

Your idea of a series of letters to put across as a science-fiction idea is an intriguing one, but I'm afraid it doesn't quite come off.
It was in the August 1940 issue of Macabre Adventures that Mr. Thromberry first issued this very idea. Ironically enough, the story title also was "Who's Cribbing?"
Feel free to contact us again when you have something more original.

Yours,
Samuel Mines

0 comments:

About Me

My photo
i'm 24. i (used to) work in the urban entertainment industry: marketing, pr, & promo for rappers, clothing lines, events. i love stand up comedy, reading, and vintage fashion. most importantly, i write. of note: gawker.tv - 1,2,3,4|vanity fair|splitsider|blogger blog of note|jezebel|the hairpin|videogum|the humor section::splitsider|youtube|twitter|huffington post